WESTERN HIGH SCHOOL

Title

WESTERN HIGH SCHOOL

Subject

WESTERN HIGH SCHOOL

Description

From the Western High School Alumni Association: Western High School was established in 1890. First classes were held in Curtis School at Potomac and O Streets in Georgetown, with two teachers and 50 students. In October 1897, the school moved to 35th and R Streets NW into what was then a new building. Over the years Western won a national reputation as a school of academic excellence. Arthur Capper high school students were bused to Western in the mid 60's. By the mid 1970’s, however, a declining school age population threatened closure of the majestic but aged building. A new educational program exclusively for performing arts began to use some of the space available at Western.

When the DC School Board made the inevitable decision to close Western with the class of 1977, the grand old building became the home of Washington’s first public school program for the arts.

Source

Western High School Alumni Association, http://westernhighschool-dc.org/

Files

western.jpg

Collection

Citation

“WESTERN HIGH SCHOOL,” Arthur Capper, accessed January 26, 2021, https://arthurcapper.omeka.net/items/show/58.