Phelps High School

Title

Phelps High School

Description

According to "What's in a Name" by the Women of the Dove Foundation with support from the DC Humanities Council: The Phelps Vocational School, 704 26th Street NE, was built in 1934 by the Catalan Construction Company. It is a Colonial Revival/Neoclassical style brick building. Originally built as a vocational school for black males, the school accepted black females in 1942 and was renamed the Phelps Career High School. In 1972, a multi-purpose room was added. In 2008, the school received a major overhaul and was renamed the Phelps Architecture, Construction and Engineering High School serving students from grades 9-12.

Source

"What's in a Name," Women of the Dove Foundation and DC Humanities Council, http://www.wdchumanities.org/docs/2011DCCHP/DCSchoolsHistandHeritage2011.pdf

Files

Phelps.JPG

Collection

Citation

“Phelps High School,” Arthur Capper, accessed January 26, 2021, https://arthurcapper.omeka.net/items/show/62.